Wild Weather

Phew.  We had a rather wild wind storm over here on Thursday, especially during the night.  The power went out about 5:30pm and, while cooking tea on my wonderful wood stove that needs no electricity, we watched the first tree fall down in the front yard.  Kim plugged us into the batteries for our new solar system to give us some lights which was lovely.   After tea we heard from our neighbour that a tree had fallen down on our road and was hanging onto the power lines, so there was no going anywhere and the wind just kept on rising.  We took numerous walks around battling through the wind while checking the stock, and refastening tarps onto chook domes etc.

At around 10pm a tree fell onto the back of our house with a bang.  We were most impressed at the strength of the building as it stopped the tree at the roof line, rather than collapsing under it, so we felt very blessed.  Especially since Kim was sitting directly under where it hit.  The first two trees were Silver Wattles which are known for falling as they age, but the tree that really unnerved me was the 30 year old gum about 4 metres from the house that uprooted itself and collapsed with a quiet thud around 10:30pm.  It was probably quite a loud thud really, but it couldn’t compete with the sound of the wind howling through the trees around about.  The gum took out one of our plastic carports and blocked our driveway rather completely.

I’m not feeling so fond of trees right now, as it was a rather scary night.  I had to keep reminding myself that all things are in God’s hands, and if he wanted us to have a tree fall on our heads, well then so be it.  He would help us to cope with whatever circumstances we have to go through. The security he gives us is spiritual more than physical after all.  It did make me appreciate more the suffering of people who are experiencing natural disasters right now, we are so powerlessness against the forces God unleashes in the world.  We certainly weren’t alone in being nervous.  I spoke to a few folk in town who also suffered damage over night, and who had a nerve racking evening.  Everyone says they’ve never seen anything like the wind that night. One family apparently lost their whole roof, and even the church hall has lost some of it’s cladding.  The farmer down the end of our road thinks he has at least 200 trees down, and he has BIG trees.

Another neighbour had an exciting night too.  The tree across the road initially stopped him from returning home that night.  Then when he tried to return to the town he passed a police officer and SES worker removing a tree from the main road so he stopped to talk to them about it.  When they were finished they came with him to look at the tree on our road.  There was so much wind and things flying around that they all agreed it was too dangerous to deal with and our neighbour went into town.  He stayed drinking at the pub until midnight when the publican sent him on his way.  His original plan had been to find somewhere away from trees and sleep the night in his car.  But after his session in the pub he was full of dutch courage and angry as hell that he couldn’t get home.  So instead he came back and parked near the tree hanging on the power lines.  Then he walked home, collected his chainsaw, walked back and cut the darn tree off the lines in the dark and in the wind.  He then drove home triumphantly and got to bed around 5am.

On inspecting the damage Friday morning we felt very grateful to God that we were all well and unharmed, and our stock were all fine too.  We were also very thankful that the wind had stopped!  The only thing is our rabbit escaped when his hutch was blown over.  The power lines to a neighbours place had been pulled down by a falling tree and it looks like we will not have any power until his wires are repaired as our power comes off the same pole which has been switched off for the time being.  We have some of our off grid system we can use, although no solar panels yet so no real way to recharge the batteries at a decent rate, but we can still use them a bit.

We went to work on the fallen gum tree yesterday morning and managed to clear a pathway though it so that we can get cars through.  We were then busy cutting the tree down from the roof and getting a tarp attached to cover the resultant holes with for the time being.  That also entailed fixing up the overflow pipe for the hot water system.  We also had to do running repairs on the pig shelters and chicken domes.  My poor greenhouse needed the roof plastic refastening and the back wall had to be recovered as the plastic was shredded.

Finally with a big sigh of relief we sat down to tea and enjoyed the power of the generator that Kim stripped down and rebuilt in the afternoon. He had quite a bit of motivation for that job and lots of encouragement and moral support from the rest of us.  We felt rather exhausted by the end of the day, but were pleased that we got the main things that needed doing finished.  Here’s hoping (and praying) for a quieter time for a while.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: