Archive for June, 2012

Heat again

June 27, 2012

Well, we have the heater in the house at last.  The boys carried it in for us and placed it onto the hearth which we carefully measured to make sure it was the recommended distances from the walls etc.

Then yesterday Kim went and bought the flue pieces we needed and we cut the hole in the roof in preparation for installing that.

And today we finally got to put up the flue and then could try the heater out, and thankfully it worked just fine.  Actually we want the flue to be higher but one of the pieces we were going to use turned out to be broken, so we’ll have to get a replacement piece and extend it soon, but it draws well anyway and kicks out a good bit of heat.  It was a really cold day today so it was great to get it going.

We still have to fill in the wall to replace the door which is not exactly sealing the house up at the moment.  🙂  But that is a job for another day.

Then of course we have to organise a desk for the computer and TV etc and move all that back, so there is still plenty to do, but it is nice to actually have the heater in and working.  YAY.

Advertisements

Carpet now

June 23, 2012

Had to show you the lounge room today.  We put lining over the hole where the chimney used to be and then laid our carpet.

The carpet is new, an off cut that cost us $200 and which fits nicely.  According to the salesman it is a good quality Stainmaster and should last well and clean well.  We could have bought a pure wool piece for not much more, but after talking to the sales guy about his experiences with it in his own home we decided not to.  He said he had a dog and that his wool carpet grips onto the hairs and basically the dog ruined it, that was a good warning.

Then tonight we tiled our piece of cement sheeting to make a hearth for the fire.

We did it inside so that it would be above 5 degrees so that the cement would set properly.  🙂  Also we can just slide it off the tarp into place when it is finished.

Now to wait for the cement to dry, then do the grouting and wait some more!

Renovations continue

June 19, 2012

We finished removing the chimney last Monday.  We chiselled out a lot of the bricks, but resorted to the sledge hammer at the end.

Then today we put in the joists for the flooring.  Josiah helped to saw the joists to length.

We had already put timber around the edge of the room and levelled it.  Lydia and Kim measured the drop from the joists to the floor so that we could cut packers to fit every 45 cm.

Interestingly there was 13cm of difference between the highest point of the flooring and the lowest!!

Then came the fun part of sawing the yellow tongue flooring to length.  We only had to take a little sliver off the end of each and the trampoline made a good bench for that.  We did have to rip the last one lengthwise to fit and managed to use the triton workbench for that, although it was a bit awkward as the flooring sections were pretty big and heavy (900 x 3600, 45kg).

And the fun part was putting the flooring in.  We decided to put some insulation under the new floor too since we had the gap there.

And tonight it is all done and nailed down.  The ceiling seems lower somehow.  🙂  Probably because we are now standing between 9.5 and 22.5cm higher, depending on where in the room you stand.  It is actually much easier to see out of the windows now.

So now we need to get on with the job of installing a wood fire, which was the original purpose behind all of this!  And I think we should put in a bit of interior lining to cover the hole in the wall too.

Well, that is our progress for now.  I think I will head back to the caravan now where it is somewhat warmer.  We’re expecting a minimum of -1 tonight.  Brrr.